At least 22 civilians killed in Israeli strike on UNRWA clinic in Gaza

GAZA — At least 22 Palestinian civilians, including women, children, and the elderly, were killed on Wednesday in an Israeli airstrike on a health clinic operated by the UN agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) in the northern Gaza town of Jabalia, according to Gaza’s government media office.
A medical source reported that nine children were among the victims and said dozens more were injured. The UN-run clinic had been serving as a shelter for hundreds of displaced people.
Witnesses said the strike caused a major fire, burning several of the victims’ bodies beyond recognition.
The Israeli military confirmed the attack and claimed that Hamas fighters were operating from within the building, but provided no evidence to support the allegation. In a statement, the military said Hamas’ Jabalia Battalion had used the facility to target Israeli forces.
Gaza’s media office called the attack “a full-fledged war crime” and reiterated demands for international accountability.
The Palestinian Foreign Ministry strongly condemned the strike and urged the international community to pressure Israel to end its military campaign and respect international law.
This same UNRWA clinic had been previously targeted during Israel’s ongoing offensive on Gaza, which began in October 2023. Israeli airstrikes intensified again on Wednesday morning, with at least 21 other people killed in separate attacks across the enclave, according to local medics.
On Sunday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to escalate operations in Gaza amid reported efforts to advance a displacement plan backed by US President Donald Trump.
Israel launched a renewed aerial campaign on March 18, breaking a January ceasefire agreement with the Palestinian resistance group Hamas. Since then, more than 1,000 people have been killed and 2,500 injured.
Overall, Israel’s military operation in Gaza has killed over 50,400 Palestinians, most of them women and children, and injured more than 114,000 since October 2023.
The International Criminal Court issued arrest warrants in November for Prime Minister Netanyahu and former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant for alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza. Israel also faces a genocide case at the International Court of Justice. — Agencies
Source link